Thursday, August 30, 2018

Med School 23 months later

I last left off at Ian's 1st birthday party . Baby Ian turns 3 years old in October !!
I started this blog because I wanted to document our medical school "adventures." I blogged all the fun things, but when the journey got too adventurous, I stopped. You see, there was a time we didn't know if Jordan would ever achieve his goal of becoming a physician. In February 2017, at the beginning of his 4th semester, Jordan went into Septic Shock. I don't want to sound like a broken record to our friends and family who know about his septic event, so click here to read about his sepsis survival story.
After a semester off to recover and a diagnosis of Ulcerative Colitis, we returned back to St. Maarten in May 2017 to complete 4th and 5th semester. The beginning of the semester was a bit of a struggle because Jordan was dealing with tinnitus from his hearing loss. The medicine he was on also affected his tinnitus and caused anxiety. After some med changes, we got back on track and Jordan completed 4th semester exceptionally well. 

August 2017 was sad because most of our friends were leaving the island. We still had a semester left to complete due to Jordan's sepsis withdrawal. At the end of 4th semester (August 2017) we traveled back home to Kansas because Jordan had some doctor's appointments and we were attending our friends' wedding in California. We had return flights back to St. Maarten to complete our 5th and final semester of basic sciences. At the wedding, we really started debate moving our flights back because of news reports of Hurricane Irma. I was hesitant, and wanted to just go back. But when the hurricane was upgraded to a category 4 and our flight back was being cancelled the decision was made for us. It ended up being a good thing, because the island was devastated. I remember vividly the night of the hurricane I could not sleep. All I could think about were our friends still on the island. Also the people of St. Maarten. I worried about everyone's safety. I literally worried myself to sickness. I also had terrible survivor's guilt. I wondered about what would happen to Jordan's final semester, how the island was going to rebuild, whether we were going to be able to go back to our apartment to get the rest of our belongings, etc etc. The list goes on. 

That period in my life feels like a blur. I really don't remember September 2017. At the end of September we learned that AUC would be temporarily relocated to the UK. Students were given the opportunity to defer for that semester or go to Preston, England, but the semester was going on. Being that it was Jordan's final semester of basic sciences, it was a no brainer that Jordan would go and finish up in the UK. I chose not to. For a few reasons: 1. We couldn't afford it. There was no way were going to be able to swing moving a family of 4 internationally for the 2nd time. 2. I wanted to give the boys some stability. 2017 was CRAZY for us, as a family. I wanted to get Bradley into some type of formal schooling, because I wanted him to be ready for Kindergarten. Jordan left for the UK, and I stayed in Kansas. I reopened my Etsy shop Sew Worth It Designs for income during this time. I missed embroidery and running my business so I was so glad to get back to doing something for myself. All of that is really a blur. Living situation with family was tense, and I was battling some serious depression if I'm being honest with myself. WE WERE ELATED when Jordan came back home at the end of December. He finished 5th semester on the Dean's List and was inducted into the Alpha Omega Phi Honors and Service Society.

In January 2018 Jordan got back to business studying for USMLE Step 1 exam. We had moved into a one bedroom apartment in Kingman, KS while Jordan studied. This board exam is SO IMPORTANT. It determines the specialties you can apply to for residency. ordan took the exam February 28, 2018 and we waited 3 LONG weeks for the results. Thankfully Jordan was happy with his score. 

Next things next we needed to be placed for clinicals. We had high hopes to be placed in Michigan. It just made sense for us. Unfortunately, there is a rule that students need to be rotating within 60 days of getting their score and the rotation in Michigan didn't start until June, and Jordan's 60 days were up in May. Literally he took his test about 10 days early lol. Anyway, after that disappointment we were placed at our 3rd choice, Baton Rouge. First though, Jordan had to complete his Pediatrics rotation at Nassau University Medical Center. Pediatrics and OBGYN rotations are not offered at Baton Rouge General. Jordan went to New York and the end of May and ended up living with 4 of our friends who were also rotating at NUMC. I stayed back with the kids in Kansas to keep working. We missed him, but it all worked out really well! Jordan completed the rotation, even honored it!! Yea! 

At the end of July we packed up our life that has been in boxes the past 3 years and moved to Baton Rouge, LA. So far so good! We love our apartment, the cost of living is comparable to what we're used to, we found a great elementary school for Bradley, and my embroidery business is thriving. Jordan is in his Psych rotation and is partnered with a friend all the way back from MERP days. We are happy.
This was the longest updates of updates and if you've made it this far, thanks! I want to start getting more real and raw with this blog. The days of bonfires on the beaches of St. Maarten are over. We are in the depth of med school at the moment, and the year is only going to get crazier! I will be updating this blog more regularly. I remember reading blogs before med school, and although I'm JUST a spouse, and this blog isn't from the students perspective I hope it can become a resource for anyone interested in medical school. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Dear,

    I Like Your Blog Very Much. I see Daily Your Blog, is A Very Useful For me.

    You can also Find caribbean medical school All Saints University School of Medicine - Dominica is committed to providing high quality education leading to a Doctor of Medicine (MD) Degree at very affordable fees.

    Visit Now:- https://allsaintsuniversity.org/

    ReplyDelete